Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

1 minute ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

It appears to be the updated Bradley chassis they showed off in 2016, judging by the position of the headlights. Still hard to see this competing with the Lynx or another clean-sheet design.

Cost and simplified logistics will likely be their primary advantages.

1 hour ago, Insomnium95 said:

For the love of god no more Bradley variants. Why is BAE even wasting their time with this nonsense. 

Because, despite the army being a huge money sink, they’re very cheap when it comes to their equipment, and will go with what’s less expensive 9/10 times. Many nations are like this. 

3 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

If they want to use the Bradley chassis that bad why not just stick that 30MM Stryker turret on it? It's already been made and means ammo commonality....

Ideally, using the AMPV hull, which also has mine protection improvements and a revised internal layout among others.

But on the whole, if you're sticking with a "medium weight" IFV, you could do much worse than a Brad derivative with a RWS 30mm (especially one that's already in service!) and the improvement offered by newer options like the Lynx may not be a sufficient gain to justify their cost.

With the AMPV, latest M109s, and the like, the US Army is committed to the Bradley automotive components for the next 40 years or so. Makes sense to me to at least try and leverage that.

21 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Ideally, using the AMPV hull, which also has mine protection improvements and a revised internal layout among others.

But on the whole, if you're sticking with a "medium weight" IFV, you could do much worse than a Brad derivative with a RWS 30mm (especially one that's already in service!) and the improvement offered by newer options like the Lynx may not be a sufficient gain to justify their cost.

With the AMPV, latest M109s, and the like, the US Army is committed to the Bradley automotive components for the next 40 years or so. Makes sense to me to at least try and leverage that.

I keep forgetting that's the AMPV  and the Bradley hull. Seems like a easy enough solution. But alas funding and money n stuff. 

On 4/14/2021 at 12:57 PM, AssaultPlazma said:

I'm shocked MPF hasn't been canceled yet.... Even if it passes trials I wonder if in the end the Army will actually buy them.

And they came up with those "medium tank" concepts... Seriously, whats wrong woth these people?

The entries all seem somewhat phoned-in but that doesn't really surprise me considering how many failed programs to replace the bradley have preceded this one. BAE's entry seems lazy but perhaps the easiest to implement; GD's perhaps the most capable and at least the chassis has been well developed and paid for by other nations. The Lynx seems like Rheinmetall isn't even trying and i don't know enough about the other 2(?) options.

Why is the image for the last,most relevant bit, cut in half? The paranoid amongst us would suspect we're being had by a bait-and-switch.

Even if we assume that weight includes a factored-in Trophy system just in case it's fitted, that's still only around 2.5-3 tons including the ballast on the turret front (which is effectively built in on the M1A2C). Where is all the extra weight coming from, if we assume this is genuine?