Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

Textron may have formed a team of its own. 
arv-innovations-gallery-1.jpg?itok=YPtXN

Both GDLS and SAIK contracts were devoted to technology demonstrators. 
Here, we can see something Textron can reach without help. A dedicated page is opened on there site.

https://www.textronsystems.com/capabilities/innovations/cottonmouth

Been the first to announce something about the ARV can be a pressure to save the whole programme regarding the changes into the USMC. 

https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/2021/05/11/the-army-is-making-tank-upgrades-as-simple-as-switching-video-game-cartridges/

The C4ISR/EW Modular Open Suite of Standards approach — or CMOSS — would make replacing or updating capabilities as simple as plugging in a new VPX card — a rugged, standard chip about 1-inch big that’s used for defense applications.

• 2 weeks later...

An updated description of the M1A2 SEPv3 from the FY2022 budget request.

The M1A2 SEPv3 incorporates turret and hull armor upgrades, mine blast improvements, reactive armor tiles, lightweight belly armor, improved countermine equipment, Improvised Explosive Device (IED) jamming equipment, a Total Integrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) engine, an upgraded transmission, an Auxiliary Power Unit (APU), improved power generation & distribution, Ammunition Data Link (ADL) for smart munitions, Embedded Training, Blue Force Tracker, Block 1 Second Generation Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) technology, and improved computer systems with Line Replaceable Modules (LRMs) to include microprocessors, high-definition color flat panel displays, increased memory capacity, Gigabit Ethernet, and a new operating system designed to run the Common Operating Environment (COE) software.

I suspect this is the belly armor mentioned.

Cofihq3.jpg

16 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

A huge upset, ngl I didn't even know which turret Oshkosh was bidding.

Ah Rafael.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/new-partnerships-formed-in-quest-to-snag-us-army-stryker-up-gunning-deal

Edited by Ramlaen

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

A huge upset, ngl I didn't even know which turret Oshkosh was bidding.

Ah Rafael.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/new-partnerships-formed-in-quest-to-snag-us-army-stryker-up-gunning-deal

I was chastened elsewhere on line for correcting commentary that this was a competition for the medium calibre turret, and not a stalking horse for Kongsberg. The Kongsberg implementation likely had a lot of the non-recurring engineering already sorted from the interim purchase. So, for Oshkosh to win with an entirely new (to the US Army) turret, there must’ve been something compelling there. 

Do we know if it's an otc turret or something new? If it's a rafael turret, I'm only familiar with the samson 30mm. 

In that case, it might also open the possibility for quicker APS integration as that turret can be  integrated with trophy. 

5 hours ago, Reta said:

Do we know if it's an otc turret or something new? If it's a rafael turret, I'm only familiar with the samson 30mm. 

In that case, it might also open the possibility for quicker APS integration as that turret can be  integrated with trophy. 

A new turret, probably based on Samson II technology.

12 hours ago, alanch90 said:

That´s an ugly turret

IMHO, the updated MCT-30 was far and away the most attractive solution both aesthetically and in silhouette (the CMI and Rafael turrets are so tall!). Either Rafael has some really amazing tech promises or they went really aggressive with pricing.

Updated MCT-30 in the spoiler below for reference

Spoiler

General-Dynamics-Stryker-A1.jpg

9 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

IMHO, the updated MCT-30 was far and away the most attractive solution both aesthetically and in silhouette (the CMI and Rafael turrets are so tall!). Either Rafael has some really amazing tech promises or they went really aggressive with pricing.

Reveal hidden contents

Well it doesn´t look like an (ugly) skyscraper, so thats a plus. 

12 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

Hide contents

Rafael is more innovative in my opinion. RT-20 added too much height and weight to the Strykers. They added a giant top plate to hold this turret. Samson MKII appears to have the most growth allowing better integration of an APS plus the ammo capacity is higher than RT-20. Hopefully this new version of the Samson MKII will have the ATGMS mounted on the inside.