Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ukrainian Civil War Thread: All Quiet on the Sturgeon Front

T___A

Russian Ministry of Defense: the main forces connected with the units of the Russian of the airborne troops landed on Gostomel, blocking Kiev from the west 

Russian Defense Ministry: Russian units completed the blockade of Chernigov

There are no losses in the Russian Armed Forces during the capture of the airfield in the suburbs of Kiev - Russian Defense Ministry 

I just don't understand, why Ukrainians and some westerners on twitter would make up BS like the Ghost of Kiev, that's literally the worst propaganda fantasy ever created since Iran-Iraq war. And now even after it was debunked they still call it as "honestly be just as good" and keep selling those shitty merch.... 

https://twitter.com/Sc0ttishKoala/status/1497082025651871744?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

@LoooSeR

17 minutes ago, TINDALOS said:

I just don't understand, why Ukrainians and some westerners on twitter would make up BS like the Ghost of Kiev, that's literally the worst propaganda fantasy ever created since Iran-Iraq war. And now even after it was debunked they still call it as "honestly be just as good" and keep selling those shitty merch.... 

https://twitter.com/Sc0ttishKoala/status/1497082025651871744?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

@LoooSeR

Fuck him, another youtuber trash.

1 hour ago, TINDALOS said:

I literally can't believe that he just keep selling those related merchandise after the debunk.... Good lord...

It's just some guy who build this channel around Warthunder and Literatur fuckes up as soon as he touched technical or historische stuff. But even then he didn't care about facts as long as he got clicks=$.

23 hours ago, Alzoc said:

The problem with both choices is that while cohesive Ukrainian resistance will be mostly gone by then, they will have to deal guerilla warfare in any territory they occupy, especially if the western block keep sending ATGM, manpads and small arms into Ukrainian controlled territory (which could then be theoretically smuggled into Russian controlled area).

Outside of Crimea and separatist regions, most Ukrainians have a strong sense of nationality and won't be too keen on being absorbed back into Russian sphere of influence.

So the question is how some 300 000+ Russian soldier can control a territory that size populated by some 44 millions inhabitants (Puppet government or not) :/

It all boils down on where Russia want to stop and how they will handle the territories they occupy.

On top of that Russia basically validated all fears of eastern European country (invasion and absorption into USSR 2.0) and will push them even more toward NATO.

^ This is more or less correct. Also why this war and the aftermath is probably not going to be good long term politically and strategically for Russia.

6 hours ago, TINDALOS said:

@LoooSeR

Most of the "news" is being spread by social media, twitter reddit etc, often just wild claims with no video or images to back it up.

Ghost of Kiev is pure fiction, written by a War Thunder youtuber (lol)

The mobile cremation thing a few western news sources posted is actually just an old garbage incinerator, the photos are from 2015

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/24/russia-deploys-mobile-crematoriums-to-follow-troops-into-ukraine-16162585/

Be aware of rampant misinformation, I guess.

25 minutes ago, Pardus said:

Hopefully Russias invasion bogs down, becomes extremely costly, and the troops slowly realize invading and waging an aggressive war against an indepedent nation in the 21st century is absolutely insane.

Hello, 21st century will like to remind you that NATO members - Turkey and US have ground troops in Syria despite not being allowed to be there by a country. Also Iraqi. Afghanistan. Karabakh. This is not "insane", but a norm.

19 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Hello, 21st century will like to remind you that NATO members - Turkey and US have ground troops in Syria despite not being allowed to be there by a country. Also Iraqi. Afghanistan. Karabakh. This is not "insane", but a norm.

There's a clear cut difference between bringing down dictatorships and terrorist states, versus invading a democratic country.

But I guess your forum emblem explains it all. The Cold War is over, the genocidal Soviet Union fell, trying to bring it back is the definition of insanity and backwards thinking. 

23 minutes ago, TINDALOS said:

Cope.

I'm coping just fine, we'll see how well the Russian people will cope as their economy heads to the dumpster....

But it IS sad to see the Russian people letting a maniac dictator run their beautiful country into the ground, my feelings go out to all oppressed Russians who in horror have to watch as their country is forced by Putin to assault their own kin.

1 hour ago, Pardus said:

I'm coping just fine, we'll see how well the Russian people will cope as their economy heads to the dumpster....

But it IS sad to see the Russian people letting a maniac dictator run their beautiful country into the ground, my feelings go out to all oppressed Russians who in horror have to watch as their country is forced by Putin to assault their own kin.

Meanwhile Europe can also enjoy the breeze and pay a significantly higher price for US natural gas, guess I will call it a winwin for Americans? :P

1 hour ago, Pardus said:

Or is it? Check out Handelsblatt's article "Russland liefert seit Kriegsausbruch mehr Gas nach Europa" :)

1 hour ago, Pardus said:

"Moskauer Aktienmarkt steigt um 30 Prozent – Auch der Rubel legt deutlich zu", doesn't sounds like "head to dumpster" for me

Poor History of Sanctions Success

"Other experts see more significant flaws in imposing sanctions. “The record of those actions is that they fail,” says Steve Hanke, professor of applied economics at Johns Hopkins University. “There are always workarounds,” meaning sanctions won’t stop the rich from getting money in or out of the country.

Indeed, Russia has been subject to sanctions for years dating back at least as far as the 2014 annexation of Crimea—and the behavior of the country has not changed in a positive way since then. As with the recently introduced penalties, the past sanctions were surgically applied to hit the elites.

Other countries have also weathered severe sanctions without improving their behavior. Hanke notes that U.S. sanctions on Venezuela haven’t pushed out the country’s authoritarian President Nicolas Maduro. Similar actions against Cuba didn’t get rid of dictator Fidel Castro. Likewise, Iran’s theocratic mullahs remain in charge despite more than four decades of harsh U.S. measures against the regime. The issue is that sanctions often prompt a country’s population to rally around the flag. “Whoever is imposing the sanctions are viewed as the enemy,” Hanke says. Put another way, a siege mentality takes over with people banding together to weather the economic storm."

And while in case for Europen-Russian economy ties...

"All this means that while the White House might be apoplectic about Putin’s actions in Ukraine, the Russia-Europe economic entanglement may get in the way of a simple solution. “Russia wants the income and Europe can’t live without the oil and gas,” says Konstantinos Venetis, a senior economist at TS Lombard in London. Who will want to get in the way of that nominally beneficial relationship?"

Modern society ran on fossil fuel, and guess who controls the major flow of fossil fuels towards the "civilized western Europe paradise"?

The only thing sanctions would to Russia besides hearting its economy for a couple month would be pushing Russia further together with China.