Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

Did they accidentally add a 0 to that number, or are they really going to make a cannon that shoots rockets (I don’t feasibly see any other way it could attain such a range). 

Just digging around on it it's all really interesting. There aren't many details in the documents of the ERCA II's projectiles or gun is but there are some crumbs of info: 

Spoiler

Note: These two weren't posted at the same time. (1) is older than (2) and could mean there is discrepancies in the info that is common between the two documents

(1)

mII2CH2.png

(2)

TbbMtfb.png

M0tVwtd.png

Sources:

(1): https://documents.coastal.ca.gov/reports/2021/7/Th13a/Th13a-7-2021-report.pdf

(2): https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2022-01-06/pdf/2022-00032.pdf

16 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Did they accidentally add a 0 to that number, or are they really going to make a cannon that shoots rockets (I don’t feasibly see any other way it could attain such a range). 

My understanding is that it uses a throttleable solid rocket motor.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, LoooSeR said:

5968957_original.jpg

A few more details on Best Korean test launch of their hypersonic gliding warhead:

The hypersonic warhead, separated after launch, at the stage of the route of the gliding flight maneuvered, deviating to the lateral side 120 km to the target azimuth from the initial launch azimuth, and without deviation hit the target at a distance of 700 km.
   The reliability of ampoule fuel systems has also been tested under winter climatic conditions.
   A test launch has clearly demonstrated the controllability and stability of a hypersonic gliding warhead, which combined multi-stage gliding jumping maneuvering and strong lateral maneuvering. 

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

My understanding is that it uses a throttleable solid rocket motor.

It could be like the meteor a2a missile, but I see problems with trying to turn a 7 inch diameter projectile into a 6 inch projectile (to fit current maximum navy or army cannons) and have it perform about 50% better.

However, if they make an 8 inch or larger cannon, it would only get easier to achieve such ranges. I might be getting overly creative, but we might see a return to heavy caliber guns again. Fingers crossed for 14 inch railway artillery literally shooting at each other from across continents :lol:

44 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

It could be like the meteor a2a missile, but I see problems with trying to turn a 7 inch diameter projectile into a 6 inch projectile (to fit current maximum navy or army cannons) and have it perform about 50% better.

However, if they make an 8 inch or larger cannon, it would only get easier to achieve such ranges. I might be getting overly creative, but we might see a return to heavy caliber guns again. Fingers crossed for 14 inch railway artillery literally shooting at each other from across continents :lol:

This is what I was thinking of, SLRC is specifically referenced.

https://insidedefense.com/insider/army-asks-about-industry-capabilities-truck-mounted-howitzer

"The Army released a pair of requests for information Jan. 7 to assess industry capabilities to prototype a possible wheeled 155 mm self-propelled howitzer.

One of the requests for information focused on the system’s armament, which could replace the M777 towed 155 mm howitzer in some units. The other was for the truck, with which the cannon would be integrated.

These market surveys follow October announcements that the Army plans to award other transaction agreements for companies to prototype the armament and truck for the Next Generation Howitzers.

Each request for information asks nine questions, most of which are shared between the requests. Companies must describe their capability to design, model, manufacture, qualify and field truck-based 155 mm artillery, as well their ability to work with the United States government and integrate new technologies into the system.

The armament request for information asks about the companies' ability to integrate “different cannon assemblies” onto 155 mm armament, and the truck request about the companies' experience with U.S. mobility requirements.

Neither request for information restricts its questions about manufacturing capability to the United States. Responses to both requests for information are due Feb. 4.

Defense contractors have expressed interest in the truck-mounted howitzer program, which matches capabilities that several other countries already possess.

Four contractors from Europe and the Middle East displayed their own 155 mm truck-mounted howitzers at the Association of the United States Army’s annual conference last October. Two U.S. contractors at the same event expressed their own interest in the program."

5974053_original.jpg

Another test launch of NK missile with gliding warhead. This time they hit target at higher range.

Separated from the launched missile, the hypersonic gliding warhead, after its flight with a range of 600 km, made a repeated gliding hopping maneuver and a sharp turn of 240 km from the initial launch azimuth to the target azimuth, and thus hit the target at a distance of 1000 km at sea. 

Another KN-23 SRBM test launch

951603.jpg

Spoiler

730033.jpg

And 2 cruise missiles test fire

Spoiler

On January 25, 2 long-range cruise missiles launched, after flying for 9137 seconds along a certain trajectory over the East Sea of Korea, hit an island target at a distance of about 1800 kilometers.

498312.jpg

Spoiler

816046.jpg

6038244_original.jpg