Sturgeon's House

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know we already have a topic on the Arjun, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have another thread about how DRDO can't make anything.   I mean, the Arjun program started in 1974 (according

@Collimatrix look what I found!   https://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/arjun-main-battle-tank-mbt-mark-i.9558/page-309#post-1378368

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

some indian gov docs have info about Jackal armour(some sort of addon for BMP) 10-12mm range, and some SPADE armour 20-130mm range for T-90S

https://ofb.gov.in/vendor/general_reports/show/registered_vendors/search/4140

AOKUYPWe4D4.jpg

and some other

https://cag.gov.in/sites/default/files/audit_report_files/Chapter_7_-_ORDNANCE_FACTORY_ORGANISATION_of_Report_No.15_of_2017_-_Compliance_audit_Union_Government_Army_and_Ordnance_Factories_Reports_of_Defence_Services.pdf

We noticed that, by March 2013, 61 numbers of T-90 tanks fitted with the Radiators supplied by the firm were issued to the Army up to 31 March 2013. However, during Factory trials (2012) and Joint Receipt Inspection (JRI) (April/May 2013) of T-90 tanks produced by HVF using these Radiators, CQA69 (HV) observed temperature of the coolant overshooting up to 120o C within short distance of 4 to 8 Kms. B

Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi placed an order for Radiators to be fitted in T-90 tanks on a firm which had no prior experience of manufacturing required Radiators. The Factory accepted Radiators worth `2.78 crore which did not conform to the stipulated technical requirements and rendered T-90 tanks fitted with such Radiators unacceptable to Army.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

Not sure. If it is DRDO's SAMHO cannon-launched missile, then it should be semi-active laser guided - which is also not really impressive for 2020.

https://www.drdo.gov.in/cannon-launched-missile-development-programmeclmdp

CLMDP_0.png

IIRC Israelis did some showcase of Lahat to them back in 2010s, maybe this missile was influenced by that. But yeah, semi-active homing for GL-ATGMs doesn't sound as much of improvement over laser beam riding ones. Tank still need to have LOS to target while missile is more sensetive to smoke screens/soft counter-measures.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Belesarius
      We've had some discussion on this on the dicksword over the past couple of day, but we don't have a thread for discussion here. As this has the potential to get really nasty, I figure we should have a separate thread for it.

Anyhow, one very odd one from twitter.

Kashmir Intel
      @KashmirIntel
      BREAKING: Indian Air Force’s wing commander Arvind Sinha committed suicide by shooting himself with a double barrel gun in his residential quarters at the Air Force colony in Allahabad, north #India

https://mobile.twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1100444271906181120
    • By Collimatrix
      If you're interested in speculation on high-level, Machiavellian international maneuvering, I highly recommend the China Matters blog.  The post linked is one concerning Narendra Modi, the new Indian head of state.

The long and short of it is that Narendra Modi is either a Hindu nationalist, or at least a fellow traveler.  In my completely objective and unbiased assessment, Hindu nationalists are a bunch of creepy fascist assholes.

The China Matters author isn't the only author with this opinion; see for example this piece from The Economist pre-election, which states that remaining with the checkered, corrupt, but decidedly not-fascist establishment is the safer choice for India, and this post-election analysis of one of his speeches made in the US.  Times of India gets in on the action too, continuing the theme of "dog-whistle politics" in Modi's speeches.

Naturally, the leadership of the United States is pleased as pie to be hanging out with this guy who is, if quite some distance from being literally Hitler, definitely a very shifty character.

(Meanwhile, Mr. Obama is excoriating the ugliness of racial prejudice vis a vis the Ferguson riots.  This is proof that politicians are not actually people and cannot self-reflect.)

Why on earth would the liberal US countenance such a man, much less trumpet his legitimacy?

Because China.  The US needs India, even India under dubious leadership, in its hastily-assembled counter-China Pacific Alliance.  Whether this will work, and how the US will reconcile this with its existing alliance with Pakistan, remains to be seen.