Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Thanks for the info Meplat. 

So would the reloaded rounds have as much chamber pressure as a service round?

I remember from my time on tanks we would keep track of the rounds fired and what type on the DA 2408-4 to track barrel wear. Would any restored cannons have that data available? 

Potentially, and the smaller you went they were often hotter.  For the most part the baseline was ~75% to 80% of normal.

Very very few have pre civvy purchase shot-logs.  That kind of stuff is almost never found with the piece. The PaK 40 I know of, was a rusted hulk when it was found, and most of the M18's in the U.S. were in Yugoslav service before being brought in.

Some shooters do keep logs, but it's more for loading data than bore wear. You're not likely to see the kind of erosion found with more modern guns anyhow, as I'd bet the vast majority of civvy owned arty is 76mm or smaller, with most being 57mm or 37mm, simply because of size(The little M3's, BOFORS and PaK36's are easy to hide in a garden shed). 

Additionally if you note the homerolled 57mm projos in my first reply, you'll see the obturators are plastic, not brass. This, with the often conservative loading (to preserve brass) helps prolong bore life.

Wait, you were a M1 crewman?

Yes, a Tank Commander in G Troop 82nd Cav, ORNG.

Potentially, and the smaller you went they were often hotter.  For the most part the baseline was ~75% to 80% of normal.

Very very few have pre civvy purchase shot-logs.  That kind of stuff is almost never found with the piece. The PaK 40 I know of, was a rusted hulk when it was found, and most of the M18's in the U.S. were in Yugoslav service before being brought in.

Some shooters do keep logs, but it's more for loading data than bore wear. You're not likely to see the kind of erosion found with more modern guns anyhow, as I'd bet the vast majority of civvy owned arty is 76mm or smaller, with most being 57mm or 37mm, simply because of size(The little M3's, BOFORS and PaK36's are easy to hide in a garden shed). 

Additionally if you note the homerolled 57mm projos in my first reply, you'll see the obturators are plastic, not brass. This, with the often conservative loading (to preserve brass) helps prolong bore life.

Thanks again. I didn't figure that the breach on Preston's M18 burst, that'd be a really rare occurance, but I didn't know anything about what kinds of ammo was used.

2-70ar.gif

^that wasnt like his eaglescout troop or something. And clan emblems havent been that rad for 10 years atleast 

Distinctive Unit Insignia or "Unit Crest" of the 70th Armor Regt.

I was in C Co, 1/70 AR in Wiesbaden, FRG, 1983-1984. Maybe I saw you on the other side of the border Tied.  :D

From what I have read, the M18 involved in the accident came from Yugoslavia in the 90's.  

I swear, there is an APC cloning factory somewhere, working hard 24/7, making slightly different copies of same 8x8 APC as everybody else have...

You know, I was thinking something similar.  This one obviously didn't get the ATGM software upgrade.  I mean, cmon, bolt a couple of HOTS or some local TOW Clone on there at least.

Yes, a Tank Commander in G Troop 82nd Cav, ORNG.

Thanks again. I didn't figure that the breach on Preston's M18 burst, that'd be a really rare occurance, but I didn't know anything about what kinds of ammo was used.

Distinctive Unit Insignia or "Unit Crest" of the 70th Armor Regt.

I was in C Co, 1/70 AR in Wiesbaden, FRG, 1983-1984. Maybe I saw you on the other side of the border Tied.  :D

Halle was pretty far from wiesbaden  :P

(holy fuck, apon a quick google search, now your not the only one representing. Too bad its the new one, for squares) 

http://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/393351.html

Thai BWS 8x8 APC mine test. 

Wow, damage to the floor like that should not happen like that.

Before and after a mine test of an AIFV. 6 kg of TNT directly under the floor. The pressure launched the AIFV over a meter in the air, but the maximum deformation of the floor during the test looked like this:

d5829c3b39.jpg

I do not want to be in that BWS when it drives over a mine.