Jump to content
Sturgeon's House

Recommended Posts

On 3/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, N-L-M said:

There's nothing kinematically preventing missiles like Javelin from diving vertically (other than perhaps a reduction in range), and it may even be a software-defined parameter, so it's not exactly a question answerable by open sources.

 

IMHO no. To strike vertically the missile would need to climb very very high above the target to be able to turn to vertical which would at least drastically reduced its range and most likely lead to loosing the target from the seeker FOV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Beer said:

 

IMHO no. To strike vertically the missile would need to climb very very high above the target to be able to turn to vertical which would at least drastically reduced its range and most likely lead to loosing the target from the seeker FOV. 

Emphasis on "kinematically".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Has anyone ever found an official source that explains why the Merk 4 turret modules are listed as 'explosive'?

It's gotta be that SLERA idea they patented, right?

https://i.imgur.com/a6Vi3gF.jpg


Hmmm, the structures on the inside of the wedge are interesting: the bracing would suggest a physically heavy plate, or a lot of force is/can be applied to that area. 
 

Also, I’m curious what could be on that Merkava’s fender that would warrant a censoring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

 

 

interesting part is that modules seems to be a bit different 

That and the fact that they have different writings (the module that is closer even has its label painted over)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Hmmm, the structures on the inside of the wedge are interesting: the bracing would suggest a physically heavy plate, or a lot of force is/can be applied to that area

Buddy says it's around a metric ton each, give or take.

22 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Also, I’m curious what could be on that Merkava’s fender that would warrant a censoring. 

It's my friends tank and I don't want him getting a visit from the Aman

13 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

interesting part is that modules seems to be a bit different 

Slight asymmetry is to be expected on 3 man turrets. The Abrams takes that to the extreme with the right cheek being an entirely different thickness and angle compared to the left cheek. But you'll find it on basically anything with a conventional loader.

 

Anyway, thick sideskirts too.

https://i.imgur.com/LZ4fuRq.jpg

You can see that the area directly around the gun shield is fairly thin. This is normal, and is at least a smaller weakened zone than on a Chally 2 I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, giving it a closer look, I noticed the steel plate behind the gun shield is very thick so it shouldn't matter much that the shield itself and mantlet(?) is thin.

If anyone knows anything about the Merk 4's SLERA composite I'd love to learn more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

 

Slight asymmetry is to be expected on 3 man turrets. The Abrams takes that to the extreme with the right cheek being an entirely different thickness and angle compared to the left cheek. But you'll find it on basically anything with a conventional loader


Those both look like left “cheeks”, judging by the position of the smoke grenades on them, and the merk 4’s turret is pretty symmetrical on the outside, from the pictures I’m looking at. I think weidz was referring to the bolts, or how there is a cutout between the bolts on the closer module, while the further module is smooth between the bolts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Actually, giving it a closer look, I noticed the steel plate behind the gun shield is very thick so it shouldn't matter much that the shield itself and mantlet(?) is thin.

not very thick 

dih9F7MMER_s9Ky_2rSZTYrZwJ8oHtT-Q42U34tq

 

EcQ6AfWVKnqFTmnUbBux3UaQnhOhqjKIE8ucNyVL

 

9 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

thick sideskirts too.

zUPE0LOErxctwS_6Si5mrUd8Xp-w_1lPR8oCuAPw

nothing special, and short skirts is kinda outdated, tall ones(like on Namer) looks better

 

9 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Slight asymmetry is to be expected on 3 man turrets

thats 2 left modules from 2 different turrets, not right one and left one from same tank

 

btw is there any good photos of V shaped holder ?

22xNwzQt4vI8B0ceElvkT11Epxm5TVgb0M0T4FZ-

 

always was interested how bolts hold it

 

8 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

SLERA composite I'd love to learn more.

5WhZhf9ydA5IrpxqC1Hs5GQtkx5lop1YX9Od29tS

F1_bqe8fLJ5AqEy6Nl5dE47yR69VLjQSIWt5CPyKs-ls7de4Oldn6RPFNVhU5wqPjTKesWSl-BPGL0Fg

or you mean exact materials ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Actually, giving it a closer look, I noticed the steel plate behind the gun shield is very thick so it shouldn't matter much that the shield itself and mantlet(?) is thin.

If anyone knows anything about the Merk 4's SLERA composite I'd love to learn more.

There is this on the web. https://www.lens.org/lens/patent/021-657-922-024-681/fulltext

 

The next link incorporates diagrams https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/94/0e/31/2c7f37e053a211/US7360479.pdf

 

Apologies if you already have these.

Marsh

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

or you mean exact materials ?

No I was just curious how it worked

11 hours ago, Marsh said:

There is this on the web. https://www.lens.org/lens/patent/021-657-922-024-681/fulltext

 

The next link incorporates diagrams https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/94/0e/31/2c7f37e053a211/US7360479.pdf

 

Apologies if you already have these.

Marsh

 

The second one is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

14 hours ago, Lord_James said:


Those both look like left “cheeks”, judging by the position of the smoke grenades on them, and the merk 4’s turret is pretty symmetrical on the outside, from the pictures I’m looking at. I think weidz was referring to the bolts, or how there is a cutout between the bolts on the closer module, while the further module is smooth between the bolts. 

Oh... yeah I don't have an answer for that

12 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

btw is there any good photos of V shaped holder ?

I'll ask if he can take some

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone knows how heavy is the kind of vehicle they want to use with such a beast. 
philippines-army-receives-merkava-iv-bas

 

I’m very surprised to see they are not using an ASCOD based solution.

4775439?w=900&mh=700
The Sabrah chassis could have been perfect with an MLC50 span. 
Merkava Mk4 is more expensive to maintain and to deploy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The Merkava 2D was introduced to address specific, known weaknesses in the Merkava 2's armour. In September 1997 and October 1997, Merkava 2Bs were hit by 9K111 Fagot missiles fired by Hezbollah. Two Merkavas were penetrated and in each case a crewman was killed. It was clear that Hezbollah were aware of a weakness in armour near the drivers hatch and were targeting that area. Hence the introduction of the Merkava 2 Batash also known as the Merkava 2D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...