Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

So Rafael put out this video to celebrate 10 years of Trophy covering the past of the system.

Spoiler

It's pretty standard fare, but at roughly 4:15 through 4:30 - you get what appears to be the first proof of the long-mythical Merkava work with the Singaporean armed forces. That is clearly blurred SAF personnel, and the jungles that the demonstration shot was done there are exactly the flora you see in Singapore. I cannot understand Hebrew, but they flash up an image of a Merkava during that sequence, so it wasn't *just* dev work for Trophy.

1 hour ago, TokyoMorose said:

So Rafael put out this video to celebrate 10 years of Trophy covering the past of the system.

Hide contents

It's pretty standard fare, but at roughly 4:15 through 4:30 - you get what appears to be the first proof of the long-mythical Merkava work with the Singaporean armed forces. That is clearly blurred SAF personnel, and the jungles that the demonstration shot was done there are exactly the flora you see in Singapore. I cannot understand Hebrew, but they flash up an image of a Merkava during that sequence, so it wasn't *just* dev work for Trophy.

Perhaps. It could also be part of a sales pitch and demonstration in Singapore of Trophy, as part of a potential sale of the system for integration on their Leopards.

19 minutes ago, Marsh said:

Perhaps. It could also be part of a sales pitch and demonstration in Singapore of Trophy, as part of a potential sale of the system for integration on their Leopards.

Very true, but they went quite out of their way in the vid to flash an image of a Merkava during this Singapore segment, and I cannot comprehend any reason to do so if they were merely doing a sales demonstration for the Trophy system.

(There is also the issues that other countries have had with slapping Trophy on their tanks, it weighs quite a lot and demands quite a lot of power. Since Singapore was already planning on a pretty hefty applique armor package, I would be very shocked if their old mid-batch 2A4s had the weight and power margins to even think about fitting Trophy. Would remind me of the issues that forced the 2A7A1 awkwardness in Germany.)

2 minutes ago, TokyoMorose said:

and I cannot comprehend any reason to do so if they were merely doing a sales demonstration for the Trophy system.

Well, if the system is being demonstated, presumably it must be on some platform. And for a demonstration, going to all the effort to integrate the system into a new platform seems excessive. So perhaps, a case of "ignore the tank focus on the system on the tank".

I would expect much the same to be the case with fire control demonstrations.

Just now, N-L-M said:

Well, if the system is being demonstated, presumably it must be on some platform. And for a demonstration, going to all the effort to integrate the system into a new platform seems excessive. So perhaps, a case of "ignore the tank focus on the system on the tank".

I would expect much the same to be the case with fire control demonstrations.

Yeah, I went into it thinking it would just be a demo rig on a truck or something but they could have hauled the full tank out to demo the system. Which would make the old crazy rumors of Merkava IVs in singapore not entirely false, one was there to show off.

31 minutes ago, TokyoMorose said:

Yeah, I went into it thinking it would just be a demo rig on a truck or something but they could have hauled the full tank out to demo the system. Which would make the old crazy rumors of Merkava IVs in singapore not entirely false, one was there to show off.

You could well be correct. However, to me, the still of the Merkava 4 appears not to be part of the clip of tests in Singapore. The terrain and vegetation seems more akin to that of Israel. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, but that was around 15 years ago, and appears to have been succeeded by the Namer ARV as the full all-purpose heavy ARV. This new one seems to be an "el cheapo" knockoff, likely based on mk3 hulls which are now being gradually phased out of the armor corps.

3 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Yes, but that was around 15 years ago, and appears to have been succeeded by the Namer ARV as the full all-purpose heavy ARV. This new one seems to be an "el cheapo" knockoff, likely based on mk3 hulls which are now being gradually phased out of the armor corps.

You are correct in assuming this is Mark 3 based. But this is not a cheap alternative to the Namer ARV. They fulfill very different tasks.

Simply, the Namer ARV replaces the M88, and the Pereg replaces M113 maintenance vehicles such as this one:

16042014-5-300x174.jpg

By the way this new variant is called Pereg. It is a Hebrew acronym for Generic Armored Platform for maintenance units.

It will be used by Company-level tech units to maintain tanks and other AFVs, reducing dependence on light crane vehicles like the Rio trucks or M113s.

Of course, there will be an overlap with the Namer ARV, because the ARV will use its massive crane to assist others in lifting light weights like powerpacks and armor blocks, which the Pereg can also easily do, and use its sheer size to carry spares but they still fill different niches.

Pereg is also said to have a MEDEVAC capability, a capability which I do not know whether the ARV has.

The superstructure itself seems to add quite a lot of room in the Ofek, and I assume here as well. Perhaps more than the Namer affords.

EDIT: Pereg may not necessarily be able to lift a powerpack, and light crane vehicles' ability is in doubt.

5 hours ago, Newtonk said:

Odd, that crane does not look too sturdy, and why would you carry a spare wheel on the roof when it is so far from the ground? Still, an interesting discovery.

The purpose of the crane is just to manipulate spares, not a power pack. 
This is a combat repair vehicle. 

24 minutes ago, M_Z said:

lifting light weights like powerpacks

Powerpacks weigh up to 5 or so tons, which I doubt that light crane can deal with, but conversely the 113 fitters can't deal with that either, so it's likely not a problem.

Replacing the 113 is always a good idea, even if it is by using an obsolete tank hull tortured almost beyond recognition.

Also, you aren't very subtle with your ban evading accounts, are you?

2 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Powerpacks weigh up to 5 or so tons, which I doubt that light crane can deal with, but conversely the 113 fitters can't deal with that either, so it's likely not a problem.

Replacing the 113 is always a good idea, even if it is by using an obsolete tank hull tortured almost beyond recognition.

Also, you aren't very subtle with your ban evading accounts, are you?

The point is not to evade a ban, but to answer a question as none at the time could give a translation to an important piece of text. Hence me using the same name.

I could have just created a fake e-mail and restart posting a very long time ago but chose not to.

And you are correct. The powerpack of the Merkava 3 at least is said to be 5 tons in weight (according to Michael Mass), which the M113's crane indeed cannot lift.

I have seen Rio's and M113s helping with lifting some stuff around the tanks, so maybe that's the source of my confusion. Perhaps some armor pieces.

EDIT:

%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%9D%20%

My latest source of confusion. I'm not sure what vehicle this is with the crane.

Since I've now already provided the necessary translation, I'll go back to inactivity.