Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

8 hours ago, Toxn said:

@delete013 here's a serious suggestion for you: design a tank. We have a competition going on right now, in fact, and you can put together an entry pretty easily so long as you have some access to CAD modeling software (free programs such as Sketchup are accepted).

Really - go through the process of designing a gun, a turret, a hull. Fit an engine, mock up a semi-realistic transmission system. Make hard choices as you try to balance firepower, ergonomics, armour protection, power-to-weight ratio, ground pressure and range. Really get to grips with the subject.

Then come back and tell us what you think of a particular design as an engineer rather than a partisan.

He will not do this, because it would require effort on his part.  

On 5/15/2021 at 9:35 AM, Toxn said:

@delete013 I should also mention that I'll happily help with your entry if you need it. I have a bunch of spreadsheets for calculating MMP, gun energy from barrel pressure, armour and penetration.

I don't think I have energy to do it alone. But we can do in tandem, if you're up for it.

18 minutes ago, delete013 said:

I don't think I have energy to do it alone. But we can do in tandem, if you're up for it.

I'm already putting together a submission, so the offer is for help rather than firing up a group project. Again, though, give a shout if any help is needed.

British and American evaluation  of the Tiger Ausf.B. Sadly not very interesting reports, only static factors like ergonomy, building quality or material composition was evaluated. The armor was not fired upon, the resistance was only calculated. The early rounded turret was found to be extremely bad from material point of view with variable material thickness, plates on one side hardened and on the other side not. There was no test driving done (possible a short drive was done but that is not confirmed) and no reliability testing. Turret rotation was tested by the Americans. 

https://warspot.net/372-all-the-king-s-horses

2 hours ago, Beer said:

British and American evaluation  of the Tiger Ausf.B. Sadly not very interesting reports, only static factors like ergonomy, building quality or material composition was evaluated. The armor was not fired upon, the resistance was only calculated. The early rounded turret was found to be extremely bad from material point of view with variable material thickness, plates on one side hardened and on the other side not. There was no test driving done (possible a short drive was done but that is not confirmed) and no reliability testing. Turret rotation was tested by the Americans. 

https://warspot.net/372-all-the-king-s-horses

Was it a case of "This thing is such a pile of trash, we better not run it?"

6 minutes ago, delete013 said:

I think it was rather "why are we so helpless without strategic bombers and naval artillery?"

That makes no sense even as a joke.

Like, how were the British or Americans "without" strategic bombers? How were they "helpless" considering that the captured tanks tended to be knocked out (in one case by a shell crater)?

Dude, your dumb sentence is making me have a stroke.

58 minutes ago, Toxn said:

That makes no sense even as a joke.

Like, how were the British or Americans "without" strategic bombers? How were they "helpless" considering that the captured tanks tended to be knocked out (in one case by a shell crater)?

Dude, your dumb sentence is making me have a stroke.

Maybe he's being typical Delete, and he's arguing it from the German side, because, they had shit for Naval Artillery, and their Strategic Bomber was a joke.  Of course, Delete being a human brick, he probably thinks the German Navy was Amazing, and their strategic Bombers more advanced than the B-29... 

It's just so hard to tell with this guy. 

4 hours ago, Laser Shark said:

I believe this is for Qatar since it’s been reported that the VBCI deal has been cancelled in favor of the Boxer. Considering what likely motivated this move, I’m somewhat surprised that they’ve decided to keep the Kongsberg turret with its French sensors and ATGMs.

Catherine range is British.